Wednesday, April 18, 2007

iLEAD Chennai South Visit Part II

After observing the students in the Automobile class I moved on to observing the students in the remaining classes. I entered the ITES class and i found that it was the only class in which girls were a majority. Edwin who was with me encouraged me talk to some of the students. I started talking to a girl called Jaya who was physically challenged. One of the best things about the iLead program is its inclusive nature. There are atleast 3-5 students in every batch who suffer from physical or mental disabilities. Jaya came from a fairly large family with 2 elder brothers and 1 younger brother. Before joining this program she was staying at home doing housework. I could see that learning the computer gave her a sense of independence and hope to stand on her own feet. She also expressed a desire to go for further studies after completing the iLead program. I believe that with the Indian corporates becoming more sensitive to special employee's needs girls like Jaya will face lesser challenges in securing an employment. All she needs is an opportunity and she got it through iLead.

After this I was started chatting with Senthil who is originally from outside Chennai. He is from the previous batch of iLead graduates and is employed in Subway. He was previously employed in the security and courier field. He explained that though his starting salary in Subway was same as what he used to get previously, career advancement is faster in Subway. Within a span of 2 years an employee can become a Floor Manager earning more than Rs 10000. I then thought to myself this is the kind of impact that iLead has. Not it only does it transform unemployable youths into confident trained workers, it also provides them with good career growth opportunities. I also met another passed out hospitality trainee ThaneshKumar who came as a refugee from Sri Lanka and now is employed at Subway. Oh yeah before i forget I promised Senthil i would visit his subway outlet at Citi Centre and he has promised to give me double layer meat.

Starting from left Senthil, Edwin and Thanesh

1 comment:

Alexandra Minoza said...

This is a great leap for the people of India. These countrymen have contributed to India's unbridled growth firsthand and they have the right to have a decent education and to be an inspiration for other youths of different backgrounds. :-) All the best for more of your visits! Let other people know as well.